The sacrament of baptism ushers us into the divine life, cleanses us from sin, and initiates us as members of the Christian community. It is the foundation for the sacramental life.
Catechesis in preparation for Baptism for parents and godparents is required by Christ’s Church. Classes at St Mark are offered in 2 parts: attendance to both are required. Dates through April 2018 are:
- June 11th & 25th
- August 6th & 13th
- September 10 & 17
- October 15 & 22
- November 5 & 12
- January 7 & 21
- February 4 & 11
- March 4 & 11
- April 8 & 15
Classes meet downstairs. Classroom to be announced based upon class size.
Please contact Karol Seydel 720-348-9700 ext 216 or firstname.lastname@example.org prior to attending class.
Parent/guardian have the privilege and responsibility and are encouraged to choose two persons (one of each sex) as godparents (for the purpose of this policy, the terms godparents and sponsors are equivalent) for the Baptism of their infant child. Godparents are expected to:
- accompany the parent/guardian during the time of baptismal catechesis;
- present the infant child for baptism;
- be stewards regarding the continuing faith journey of the child;
- assist in guiding the child.
To be admitted to the role of godparent, a person must:
- be designated by the parent/guardian, or in their absence, by the pastor or minister and is to have the qualifications and intention of performing this role;
- be sixteen years old unless the pastor or minister has granted an exception for just cause;
- be a fully initiated Catholic (has been baptized, confirmed and has received the sacrament of Holy Communion) and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;
- not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;
- not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized;
- present a letter from their pastor attesting that they are a practicing Catholic.
A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic church may be present for the Baptism as a Christian witness. One Catholic godparent is requiredIf it is impossible to be in attendance, proxy is acceptable.