Confirmation brings an increase and deepening of baptismal grace:
– it roots us more deeply in the divine filiation which makes us cry, “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:15);
– it unites us more firmly to Christ;
– it increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us;
– it renders our bond with the Church more perfect;
– it gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross
(Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 1303)
“Recall then that you have received the spiritual seal, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of right judgment and courage, the spirit of knowledge and reverence, the spirit of holy fear in God’s presence. Guard what you have received. God the Father has marked you with his sign; Christ the Lord has confirmed you and has placed his pledge, the Spirit, in your hearts.” – St. Ambrose
It is encouraged that all Catholic children take part in Religious Education from 1st grade through 12th grade. It is required that candidates attend Religious Education for two (2) years immediately prior to the reception of the Confirmation. This catechetical instruction may be done in a full time Catholic school or a parish based program.
Adolescents/teens who have completed their 7th grade year of catechesis are eligible for the Sacrament of Confirmation in 8th grade. Teenagers in high school age can still participate in St Mark’s Confirmation program.
CONFIRMATION LITURGY: May 19th 6:30pm